Each Methodist District is made up of a number of circuits, and is led by a District Chair. As well as providing leadership within the District, the Chair is a member of the connexional leadership team, with an overview of the whole Connexion.
Districts hold a twice yearly district synod which sets district policy and may bring matters to the Conference. They also hold a ministerial synod for presbyters and deacons, which is an opportunity for ministerial training as well as for debating issues.
Districts differ in terms of the kind of support they offer to local churches and circuits, but this can often include:
- encouraging connexional priorities
- offering or subsidising training
- giving pastoral care to ministers, deacons and key lay people
- providing people who represent Methodism to the local media
- having an overview of legal obligations
- organising large initiatives.
Our next Representative Session of Synod is on Saturday, 4 May 2019, 9.30am for 10am-3.15pm approx. at Penrith Methodist Church.